SPH-L710 and JTAG Adaptor compatibility question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPH-L710 and JTAG Adaptor compatibility question

Hello, I just joined the forum after I bricked my Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 and I am looking into purchasing a RIFF box but before I do so I have a few questions that I hope I can get answered here.

Can anyone confirm that the RIFF box will work with the SPH-L710 model? Also, I am reluctant to solder the tiny header on the motherboard, as it could easily be damaged. I found a JTAG Samsung Adapter from the following site, however I do not see the specific SPH-L710 mentioned in the compatibility list. The description indicates "JTAG Samsung I747/I747M/T999/T999V (Galaxy S3)"

If I had the pinout, it looks like I could possiblyl wire it to the molex header which goes to the RIFF box. Does anyone have a pin-out for the SPH-L710 model - I was able to see that there is a small gold triangle against - presumably pin 1 of the 12 pin motherboard header.

Thanks in advance
    John

Link

It will work. Both the RIFF and adaptor from Multicom.
    QQ: 1634811353

Comment

It kind of works. Kind of. Since it took me a while to find out what worked, what didn't, and which was the best way to connect the SPH-L710 (Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III), I figured I'd share what I found.

The adapter mentioned above fits the SPH-L710, *sort of*. It technically fits. This was the first adapter I tried. The molex connector is the correct size, however, on the CDMA versions of the galaxy s3 board (like the L710) the molex port is perpendicular to the edge, instead of parallel.

See:

This causes the adapter to be blocked by other things on the board. From what I could tell by messing with it, you *may* be able to get it to fit on there, but the risk of damaging the board felt too high for me to want to try. You would also most likely need to hold it on there the entire time, which is impractical for reading/writing 100mb+. It does, however, work perfectly fine with the GSM versions of the galaxy s3.

The RIFF box pinout instructions make it possible to solder individual jtag wires onto the tiny molex port (Very tiny), but to be honest, that sounds absolutely awful. Especially if you need to do it more than once.

The best solution, I found, is to go for one of these Easy Jpin sets. They are resold by most of the riff box retailers, but you can get them for cheaper straight from easy jpin themselves. They take 2 seconds to hook up, do not require an soldering, and can be removed and hooked back up effortlessly. The only downside is that they are sold as a set (70$ USD, for the full 33 piece set. 30+ dollars cheaper than most resellers). You do get adapters for a bunch of different phones, though, which can be nice to have around.

For whatever reason, it seems like the CDMA versions of things are often unexplicably less documented, and more complicated and convoluted than their GSM counterparts. It's always disappointing to make a purchase and not be able to use it when you recieve it, not to mention wasting money on the wrong parts. Hopefully this helps a couple people avoid that. If you plan on using your riffbox with the SPH-L710 more than once, the 70$ is well worth it.

Comment

nvan7891, I need to post this so I can download your attachment

The Easy Jpin link seems to be invalid now (redirects to someone's mail server), but I think that this might be the same thing from Amazon, and at least right now, the price seems great (about $52 including shipping).

Nevertheless, I am a newbie at this, and would like to confirm that this is what you used, or equivalent.

Link

Comment

the molex adaptres work great for my i just wish they would sell the added ones by themself

Comment

Working...
          X