Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics Engineer GSM Newbie

Nice to make your acquaintance

My name is Rob. I just graduated from BTC with a degree in Electronics Engineering. I'm currently going to CWU to finish up my bachelor's, so if I don't respond right away, I'm probably busy with school. I seem to be one of the only people in my school (as well as when I was at BTC) amongst even the professors, who know what the words JTAG and Boundry Scan mean. It was fun to learn everything about both analog and digital electronics, TTL, and CMOS.

I don't know everything, but after building my first computer when I was 12, it became clear to me that the traditional way of learning computer science is from the TOP down. Today, everyone cares about OOP and other high-level languages. Some know assembly, but not much. Even fewer seem to be able to read things like 0x0A as "10" (00001010). N

I started learning about JTAG when I bricked my router. Using tjtag3 and the TaIO JTAG parallel adapter I have fixed many routers / other ARM devices, and upgraded to a USB JTAG when I started playing with my XBOX 360. When my S4 died, I decided to splurge and get a RIFF to fix it.

One of my biggest pet peeves, is modern manufacturers not respecting OPP (Other People's Property). Since when has it not been enough to sell someone a product, and then stay out of their business? Instead, they gotta put things like "signed bootloaders" that will only let you install firmware that THEY develop and sign, and you can't improve, fix, or perhaps most importantly - experiment and learn anything about the technology yourself, at least how I got good at what I do - just diving in and attempting to repair something that is broken. Oh well, I said, using my ISP / EEPROM programmer I can make a .bin and restore to stock whenever I want. Once E-Fuses (a.k.a. "Knox Bit") started being used, I became more and more interested in disabling this permanent and irrrevokable control system, so I can use and repair MY PROPERTY whenever necessary.

I am a newbie to GSM, and look forward to learning more. Now that I got my RIFF, I can.
Working...
X